Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Gleanings From The Blogosphere

Discoshaman has the most outstanding headline announcing the recent suicide of Hunter S. Thompson:
Hunter S. Thompson caps career/self


Brian at Terrible Swift Word attended remedial traffic school Monday night, where he obseved the dynamics of the group setting. For example:
Lesson A: Seating

Up front are the "Brown-Nosers." They answer lots of questions and ask even more questions. During breaks ... well, what am I saying? There are no breaks for this crew. They gather at the soda machines still deep in the current discussion.


Jon Barlow has alerted me to the fact that Ozzie Smith's son is a contestant on "American Idol." I haven't seen him (since I've never watched "American Idol"), but I don't think he should win. His father is already in the Baseball Hall of Fame. It's some other family's turn.



And Jared at Thinklings has been forced to watch Regis and Kelly Lee daily for an entire month, and has some observations on Kelly's veracity:
Later, Kelly Ripa tells a larger, puffier – older – Valerie Bertinelli that she looks “just like” she did in the old “One Day at a Time” clip they showed, in which Bertinelli looks tiny and shiny and aglow with the cherubic beauty of her youth. Kelly Ripa you are a bald-faced liar. Or is it bold-faced liar? I always forget. Either way, Ripa told the biggest lie to hit TV since “I did not have sexual relations with that woman.” And everybody knew it, including Bertinelli, who looked at her like, “How in the world did I lose the co-hosting gig to this gnome?”
I think maybe this is the difference: something can either be a "bald lie" or a "bold-faced lie". Do I have that right? I get confused on that too. I know there is an appropriate place for "bald" there somewhere, but I have trouble remembering where.

No comments: