Friday, July 25, 2003

In 1998, I read Hugh Hewitt's book "The Embarrassed Believer," and it was something of a turning point for me. In the midst of a career crisis, doing a radio program that I was not entirely comfortable doing, Hewitt's book was one of several factors that pushed me towards making substantial changes in my life as a Christian.

Though he has a well-repected radio program in California, I've never had the chance to hear it. But I'm pleased to say that I've discovered (through Tim Berglund, who's turning up on my blog these days as much as his own) that Hewitt is an upstanding citizen of the blogosphere, and I've added his excellent blog to the roll, primarily based on the strength of these two paragraphs (about the upcoming gubernatorial recall election in California), which made me laugh out loud:
Who else could win? Anyone with pre-existing name i.d. and an energized base of support. That's why Bill Simon is formidable, why Jack Kemp is tempted, and why it wouldn't surprise me to see Jerry Brown jump in. If Charlton Heston wasn't ill, he could have run and won. Johnny Carson could be governor if so inclined. Only Arianna's and Michael Savage's trial balloons are filled with lead. (On the other hand, my friend Dennis Prager could run a very, very respectable race. Dennis? Oh, Dennis?)

Benny Hinn has a shot. Kareem could make a play. Don't tell me it hasn't crossed Barbra's mind, or Tom Selleck's. Tom Hanks is America's favorite guy-next-door, you don't think he'd poll in double digits?
The idea of Benny Hinn as the governor of California is amusing enough to keep me coming back to Hewitt's blog on a daily basis. You'll find good, incisive, witty stuff there from an explicitly Christian worldview.

No comments: