Thursday, February 17, 2005

What Constitutes Nonsense?

Last night, the PBS aired a Nova episode called "Saving The National Treasures." It was about efforts to preserve and protect the actual, physical documents of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

I only caught the last two minutes of the program, but I tuned in just in time to catch this closing nugget (which I transcribed verbatim), voiced by narrator Liev Schreiber:
Over the next 200 years, people will view the documents. The documents in their new encasements of glass, aluminum, and titanium, will look out on a very different world.

One thing is certain. Though the words remain the same, their meaning will continue to change, evolving, adapting to new times and circumstances, to a world that we, and their authors, can scarcely imagine.
Is it actually possible that this didn't sound ridiculous to the writer who penned it?

Here's the imaginary conversation I'm enjoying having with the writer of that bit:

JOHN: You did what with your dog? That's disgusting!

WRITER: What are you talking about?

JOHN: That thing at the end of your show, where you admitted that disgusting detail about you and your dog.

WRITER: Are you out of your mind? I said nothing like that! I was writing about the Constitution!

JOHN: Well then the meaning of the words must have changed between when you wrote them and when I heard them, because I heard you making admissions about you and your dog. Whatever you intended to say is irrelevant to me. Tell Fido I said hello....if there's any time for talking.

WRITER: (Sputtering)

No comments: