Wednesday, April 06, 2005

The Left Wing

As I've mentioned before, though I obviously disagree with their political slant, I enjoy watching "The West Wing." It's well-written and well done, though I continue to wish someone would turn a light on in that place before someone ruins their eyes. It doesn't matter what time of day it's supposed to be--there's always golden, afternoon, autumn sunlight pouring through the blinds in their offices. Every government building I've ever been in has been characterized mainly by flourescent white, but on TV I suppose that would make government apparatchiks appear less romantic.

Anyway, you have to give it to the "West Wing" producers for open-mindedness as they spin their election storyline. Believe it or not, they're positively portraying a Republican on the program this season!

Of course, the Republican is played by Alan Alda.

And he's pro-abortion.

And he's an atheist.

Other than that, though, he's quite a Republican. He's the rare "smart, thoughtful Republican," as the characters on the show say.

In fact, he's just the kind of Republican a "West Wing" character (and the media) can love: a Democratic one.

No comments: