Monday, June 30, 2003

Here, for what it's worth, is a letter I sent to President Bush today. While I harbor no illusions about my letter even being read by anyone, much less acted upon, at least I've got it off my chest now:

Dear Mr. President,

As a resident of Broward County, Florida and an ardent supporter of yours, one could fairly say that I am one of the 500 or so votes that swung the 2000 election. The reason I mention this is because I believe it is important for you to know that the number one issue I voted on was the federal judiciary.

In my opinion, the judiciary is careening out of control, as activist judges rewrite the Constitution on a whim, as demonstrated by our Supreme Court again last week. I believe that the courts are now a president's primary legacy, and no president can be considered successful if he leaves behind a hazy imprint on the courts.

While I cannot stress enough my respect and affection for you, Mr. President, I have been more than a little disappointed that you have thus far failed to use your wide popularity to push your judicial nominees through the current Senate filibuster, despite holding both houses of Congress. Instead of using the bully pulpit of the presidency to show the Senate Democrats for what they are--obstructionists--you have inexplicably remained largely silent on the matter, as though there are more important things on which to expend political capital. There are not, sir. In an era where the federal judiciary wields the legislative power (in addition to its proscribed judicial power), there is no issue more important than the courts, which are fabricating new "rights" to abhorrent behavior each day, and silencing the voice of the electorate. If conservatives cannot put judges on the court despite the Republican Party controlling the presidency and both houses of Congress, what good has it done us?

It grieves me to tell you, Mr. President, that if significant gains are not made in the federal judiciary by conservative judges who are committed to interpreting the Constitution as it was written and intended, I will not be able to vote for you again in good conscience in 2004. I am an evangelical Christian conservative who works in ministry, and I have enormous regard for your personal character and conduct. However, if the battle over the judiciary continues to be fought half-heartedly, or if anyone other than a strong conservative voice is appointed to the Supreme Court (should there be an opening), I will cast my 2004 vote for a third party, and I will encourage all my evangelical friends and acquaintances to do the same.

I am sure that your reported first choice for a Supreme Court opening, Alberto Gonzalez, is a fine, upstanding man. I'm sure that he is a loyal friend. However, those of us who worked for you and voted for you in 2000 deserve to have a nominee who clearly shares our conservative vision of constitutional interpretation. Mr. Gonzalez has given little evidence that he shares this viewpoint. The fact is that Republican nominees to the Supreme Court are in the process of destroying this country, and we conservatives can no longer settle for a wink and a "trust me" on Supreme Court nominees. Not after Sandra Day O' Conner, David Souter, and Anthony Kennedy, among others.

Mr. President, I implore you to hear my concerns. As a conservative Christian, I represent the base of your party. If you lose people like me, you cannot win the election in 2004. I do not want to see a Democrat elected. But I am willing to vote for a third-party candidate, even in a close election, to send the Republican Party the message that they cannot take true conservatives for granted. The thought of a Democrat winning the 2004 election is sickening to me, but I am willing to allow it to happen to show the G.O.P. how important this issue is.

Please, Mr. President, stop the destruction of our Constitution in the federal courts. Restore some sanity to the judicial process. Stand up for nominees who believe the Constitution means something absolute, rather than subjectively in each eye of the beholder. Stand up for Miguel Estrada, Priscilla Owen, Charles Pickering, and others. I believe you are a great man, sir, and I pray that you will do the right thing.

With warmest regards,
John Rabe

No comments: