Monday, June 23, 2003

While I'm sure that blogging can be constructive, I've been doing an experiment lately where I randomly click on some of the "10 Most Recently Published Blogs" at Blogger.com. This list changes every minute or so. A couple of observations:

1). While I'm sure there are substantive blogs that are making a Great Impact on the universe, according to my random sampling, seven out of ten of them are published by high school girls, who are mostly upset because "that two-faced b____ Krissy told Sarah in the lunchroom that Justin and me are broken up when we're NOT! I luv Justin 4ever." If you don't believe me, check for yourself.

2). Two out of ten of them are done by working women who "hate my S.O.B. boss and won't put up with his/her s___ anymore! Why can't I fall in love? I think I'm coming down with the flu again. Life sucks."

3). The other one out of ten of them are published by would-be political and religious pundits such as myself, or really bad poets and lyricists.

One thing the vast majority of them seem to share is a great deal of pain and rage. It's horrifying to see so many people who have made (or are in the process of making) shipwreck of their lives through stupid decisions and blind devotion to the current fads of libertine culture, no matter how unhappy these practices are making them. I don't know how representative those who blog are of the general populace at large, but if you want to survey the panorama of painful, hopeless nihilism and angst that might exist around you, check out a few random blogs. See how fulfilled the many "choices" offered to us by our culture have made us.

No comments: