Wednesday, December 01, 2004

A Capitol Time

Washington D.C. is a super-liberal town, filled with snarling traffic jams and homeless vagrants. Never, except in New York City, am I accosted and yelled at by more deranged people than on the streets of D.C. Yet strangely enough, I love being there. No matter how often I go or how much time I spend there, I never seem to reach a point where the Capitol rotunda comes into view and it doesn't take my breath away just a little bit. Never once have I driven past the White House without suddenly turning my head and saying "Wow! That's the White House!"

We interviewed Gary Bauer while we were there, and found him to be far more genial and friendly than the media portrays him, which probably shouldn't be surprising. We talked about a wide range of subjects, but I thought one of his best statements was on the issue homosexual marriage. Bauer said (and I'm paraphrasing, but it's pretty close): It's ironic that liberals call the homosexual marriage opponents "divisive." In reality, homosexual marriage is one of the least divisive issues in the country. The American people are overwhelmingly unified in their opposition to it.

We also spent some time with Terry Jeffrey, editor of Human Events yesterday. He was on deadline finishing his most recent column.

"What's it about?" I asked.

"The greater sage grouse," smiled the conservative pundit.

"Huh?" I thoughtfully responded.

Anyway, here's that column in its final form. And yes, it is political.

No comments: