Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Bad Idea

One of my favorite bits on the early '90's incarnation of "Saturday Night Live" was a commercial parody they did for Bad Idea Jeans. It's five or six yuppies out on the basketball court at the local park shooting hoops together. They're bantering back and forth, and we're brought in on snippets of the conversation.

One of the guys says: "Well, he's an ex free-base addict, and he's trying to turn around, and he needs a place to stay for a couple of months..."

Logo comes up: BAD IDEA.

Another guy says: "I don't know the guy, but I've got two kidneys and he needs one, so I figured..."

Cut to logo: BAD IDEA

One of the other guys says: "Normally I wear protection, but then I thought, 'When am I gonna make it back to Haiti?'"

Image on screen: BAD IDEA

I keep thinking about that commercial parody as I read this story about NBA star LeBron James firing his professional agent. This agent got him a huge playing contract, the richest shoe endorsement deal in history, and about $135 million in total endorsements. James is replacing him with....his childhood posse.

According to the story:
James [who's 20] is expected to turn over some of his management duties to close friend Maverick Carter, a former teammate at Akron's St. Vincent-St. Mary High School currently employed by Nike. Randy Mihms, who serves as James' personal assistant and road manager, and Rich Paul, another James' confidant, are expected to take on more active roles in his representation.

James and his three longtime friends call themselves the "Four Horsemen."
Here's the way I keep seeing it in my mind:
"I figured at 20 years old, I didn't really need professional career guidance anymore."

Logo: BAD IDEA

"How could my old manager adequately represent me? He's never played PlayStation with me once. He doesn't even live on my estate."

Product shot: BAD IDEA

"I mean, if you can't trust young, inexperienced hangers-on from high school to wisely manage your money while looking out for your best interests, who can you trust?"

BAD IDEA

No comments: