Tuesday, May 31, 2005

"Woodward's Garage Freak"

If, as reports are now indicating, former FBI assistant director W. Mark Felt was Deep Throat, I'm frankly going to be a bit disappointed. I always have had my money on someone more recognizable like Nixon chief of staff Al Haig (though I have to admit that much of my Haig theory was merely based on the fact that he reminds me of Hal Holbrook, who played Deep Throat in "All the President's Men").

This revelation likely signals the end to the most intriguing mystery since JFK was murdered. If Felt was indeed Deep Throat, Woodward and Bernstein will be obligated to acknowledge it pretty quickly. Their only justification for keeping it secret this long was that "Deep Throat" was still alive and did not want to be exposed. But if Felt has now publicly claimed it himself (as reported), he's obviously forfeited any further anonymity.

My guess is that W&B is checking to see if Felt did indeed make the comments to the Vanity Fair reporter that are being attributed to him. Once they confirm it, I'm guessing Woodstein will announce it on "Larry King Live" in the next night or two.

No comments: