Friday, May 16, 2003

I'm thankful that Paul Harvey is still on the radio doing what he does. I catch him in the mornings for a five-minute news/commentary broadcast on my way into work, and I just love the fact that at 80-something years old, he's still perfectly sharp and sounds great.

When I listen to him, I imagine that this must be something like every radio broadcaster sounded like in the 1940's. Most of the old-time radio professionals are long gone, replaced by morning show neanderthals and raving talk-radio screamers. But Paul Harvey still beams out his own unique, when-radio-was-king style to hundreds of major stations around the country every day, showing almost no signs of pulling back.

Sure, he can be a little on the corny side--a bit of an anachronism, like Reader's Digest. But I like anachronisms. I like that there are still some things around to remind us of the way things once were. I hope he's on for another 20 years.

No comments: