Thursday, May 29, 2003

This is an amazing world, technologically.

Yesterday, I had to make a one-day trip to Washington D.C. for some work stuff. I woke up in my own bed in South Florida, flew up north and stood in front of the Capitol, the Lincoln Memorial, and the Jefferson Memorial all day, and then flew home and put my head back down on my own pillow in South Florida that same night.

I know that millions of business travelers do this kind of thing all the time. But I found it profoundly disorienting to be able to travel 2000 miles round trip in the course of a semi-normal workday and even have significant time on the ground for work, with my family not experiencing me being gone for more than a few hours beyond what I would normally be gone on a work day. I can't quite get my mind around the fact that in this world, it is possible for someone to visit a city thousands of miles away in between brushing his teeth first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

I couldn't help but wonder how inconceivable such a thing would have been for the people honored by the monuments I visited.

No comments: