Thursday, September 30, 2004

These Boots Are Gonna Walk All Over You

Usually when I read a news story, I read the first few paragraphs and move on. Generally, that's enough from which to glean all of the important details.

But sometimes that approach is a big mistake. As my friend Bud in Dallas points out to me, today is one of those times.

You may have seen the headline about Cleveland Indians pitcher Kyle Denney, who was shot in the calf last night by a bullet fired into the team bus. Fortunately, the wound was minor, and he's scheduled to rejoin the team tonight in Minneapolis.

But even more disturbing than random gunfire on our nation's highways was this bit, buried deep in the AP story on the incident:
[Team spokesman Bart] Swain said all of Cleveland's rookies were dressed in cheerleader outfits as part of an annual ritual -- Denney's choice was Southern California -- and the mood on the bus was jovial until Denney was shot.

...Swain said the team's trainers thought the high white boots Denney was wearing as part of his cheerleader outfit may have prevented a more serious injury. The bullet didn't lodge very far into Denney's leg, and trainers were able to remove it before he went to the hospital.
I'm glad his cheerleader boots spared him further injury, but all in all, I think I'd have rather been killed...

No comments: