Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Could You Help Me Hold This Grudge?

I received this email yesterday through the address associated with this blog:
Re: Floyd Patterson

Sad to see such a class act and true sportsman pass away last week. Just curious whether this means you won't be joking about him "soiling himself," as you did on Sports Talk radio back when he first started showing signs of Alzheimer's/dementia.
Just to give you an idea, it's been seven years since I last did a sports radio show. Glad to know my memory still lingers, though.

Truth be told, I don't really recall making the unfortunate jokes about Floyd Patterson. I'm certain that I did, though. It's just the kind of thing I would have done.

All I could really do is write back to the guy and admit that I said lots of things when I was in sports radio that I probably shouldn't have. Hopefully I've grown up a little bit since then (though regular readers of this blog might dispute that). Floyd Patterson was a wonderful guy (I met him once in Las Vegas), and Alzheimer's causes anguish for millions and isn't funny. So I apologize to anyone who still takes offense at things I said back in the old days.

But I have to admit, I wonder how many others there are out there who've hated me all these years for things I don't even remember saying?

(For the record, however: In case someone else is planning to email me, I do remember the Joe Dimaggio jokes, where we kept cutting away to "see if Joe Dimaggio's dead yet." And I remember that we'd then play the sound of an EKG machine. That never really got old. C'mon, you know it was a little bit funny.)

Related Tags: , , , ,

No comments: