Monday, May 08, 2006

Monday Meanderings

  • I keep seeing ads on the internet for stock advice from investing guru Wayne Rogers. I also see him regularly on Fox News' financial show on Saturday mornings. What I'm wondering is, am I the only one wondering about the pink elephant in the room? Wayne Rogers is Trapper John from M*A*S*H.

    As I recall, M*A*S*H wasn't some obscure little show. Yet in all these ads and on the Fox News show, they act as if everybody tuning in isn't saying "Wait, that's Hawkeye's bunkmate!" I mean, they don't have to dwell on it, but don't you think it would at least come up? Because when I'm watching, it's all I can think about.
  • So imagine my surprise when I accidentally tuned in to "Wall Street Roundup with Gary Burghoff" on CNBC. Who'da figured.
  • It seems that President Bush's longtime strategy of alienating his conservative base and governing like a moderate Democrat has oddly backfired.
    Just 33 percent of the public approves of Bush's job performance, the lowest of his presidency. That compares with 36 percent approval in early April. Forty-five percent of self-described conservatives now disapprove of the president.
    But I'm sure it's all just part of evil genius Karl Rove's master plan.
  • This morning, I was reading the latest story about the ever-annoying David Blaine. I mentioned him to my friend in the office across from mine.
    Me: Somebody needs to beat that David Blaine with a stick.

    Him: If they did, he'd probably make a TV special out of it.
  • I'm currently in sole possession of first place in my fantasy baseball league at 4-1. Oddly, however, I have yet to equal my score from the first week of the season--the one game I lost. The keys to success so far have been Albert Poo-holes, who was my fist pick and has not disappointed, and Greg Maddux, who I took deep in the draft and has been terrific. I say let's end the season now.
  • I've been told by some young people that it's considered cool now to wrap your sneakers in duct tape. That sounds like a good idea--drop a couple of hundred of your parents' bucks on Nikes, then cover them in duct tape. I know the things that my generation did seemed pretty stupid to my parents (parachute pants, anyone?), but the things young people are currently doing really are objectively, irredeemably stupid. Did anyone else know about this phenomenon? Or are they just jerking me around on this one since I'm old and out of touch?
Related Tags: , , , , ,

No comments: