Monday, October 09, 2006

Monday Morning Roundup

  • Happy White European Imperialist Pig Day, everybody!
  • So Fatboy Wells wouldn't agree to be traded to the Cardinals last month (and so instead ended up with the Padres). I guess he had a golf outing this week he just couldn't cancel. Enjoy the offseason, tubby.
  • Buck O'Neil, the Negro Leaguer made famous to a new generation of fans by Ken Burns' "Baseball" documentary (and who was also on my surprised-they're-still-alive list) died this weekend at 94. I got to meet him around 1994 when I was working in St. Louis sports radio and he came into town for a promotional appearance. I drove from one end of the county to the other just to pop in our remote broadcast (which was at some restaurant) so I could shake hands with him and say hello. He was a very classy, dignified guy, and it was fascinating to sit and listen to him tell stories.
  • But in the meantime, it will be fun to follow Mizzou's progress. They convincingly beat Texas Tech over the weekend and climbed up to #19 in the AP poll. They're for real. And that's something I've never said about Missouri football in my life.
  • Newsweek has an interview with former president Jimmy Carter on his solutions to the problems in the Middle East. I haven't read the article yet, but I remember his presidency pretty well, so I'm guessing his solutions involve a combination of ineffectual passivity and crashing some helicopters in the desert. Keep up the good work, Jimmy. You were an inspiration to us all. (Oh yeah, and that's current Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to the right of the hostage there. He speaks at the UN now. You really showed 'em, Mr. Carter.)

Related Tags: , , , , , ,

No comments: