Saturday, October 11, 2003

I'm in Minneapolis for John Piper's Jonathan Edwards conference. Piper preached tonight on A God-Entranced Vision of All Things: Why We Need Jonathan Edwards Three Hundred Years Later, and in my opinion, it was literally awe-inspiring. Piper never opens his mouth without saying something incredibly profound.

I think it's supposed to be cold in Minnesota by now, but I guess they must be having Indian summer (Ahem. Excuse me--Native American summer) because it was like 80 degrees today. The leaves are turning, though, which I haven't seen in a few years. I took a cab to the hotel, but still didn't know what to tip the driver.

Heard the Limbaugh announcement on TV while waiting for my bag at the baggage carousel. After actually reading the Enquirer story about three days ago, there was absolutely no doubt in my mind that he had a horrendous painkiller addiction. I must say, though, that he handled the announcement with characteristic professionalism. Even when I was a raging liberal (and I still disagree with him fairly frequently even now), I respected his broadcasting professionalism--speaking as someone who had a career in radio, he's probably the best pure radio broadcaster I've ever heard.

I have no idea how this will affect his future career, but I hope he gets it taken care of. It's impossible to not be sorely disappointed. I saw Al Franken on CNN a while ago, and he could hardly restrain his joy. He's in a weird position, because he's one of these 12-steps nuts, and he now is in the awkward position of wanting to torture Rush for something Franken militantly insists isn't a character flaw.

No comments: