Friday, October 14, 2005

October Suprise

I interrupt the Harriet Miers furor for a couple of quick baseball observations.

I notice that the vaunted American League East playoff teams are both currently watching the League Championship Series' on television. All year I heard about how much better they were than everybody else, yet they were each eliminated from the playoffs (the Red Sox via a humiliating sweep) by teams from "inferior" divisions.

And, of course, in the National League, the only teams remaining are the two teams from the "inferior" National League Central. If the post-season is going to be the only real measure of success (as has been argued by many), then the teams remaining in the playoffs are clearly better than the Yankees and the Red Sox.

Oh, and another quick open letter to Tony LaRussa:
Dear Mr. LaRussa, Esq.,

It was ugly and violent, but I'm a man of my word. I hope you enjoyed Julian Taverez and the two runs he gave up last night. Just as a side note, have you ever seen a game where Julian Tavarez came in and didn't give up runs? Me neither. That's why it's so strange that you'd keep doing it. But they keep telling me you're a genius, so what do I know?

Anyway, we still have a couple of cats left, and they look pretty scared. They're starting to think you don't love animals as much as you really claim to. Please prove them wrong.

Your fan,
John Rabe

No comments: