Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Piling On The Cheese

A British firm with way too much time on it's hands polled people to find out what the ten all-time cheesiest movie lines are.

There seems to be some chronological arrogance involved in the selections, since every line is from a movie made in the late '80's forward. But it's hard to argue with any of the selections (though I could quibble with the order; nothing, but nothing tops "Nobody puts Baby in the corner"). They are:

1). Titanic: Leonardo DiCaprio’s “I’m the king of the world!”

2). Dirty Dancing: Patrick Swayze’s “Nobody puts Baby in the corner.”

3). Four Weddings And A Funeral: Andie McDowell’s “Is it still raining? I hadn’t noticed.”

4). Ghost: Demi Moore’s “Ditto,” to Patrick Swayze’s “I love you.”

5). Top Gun: Val Kilmer to Tom Cruise: “You can be my wingman anytime”

6). Notting Hill: Julia Roberts’ “I’m just a girl... standing in front of a boy... asking him to love her.”

7). Independence Day: Bill Pullman’s “Today we celebrate our Independence Day!”

8). Braveheart: Mel Gibson’s “They may take our lives, but they will not take our freedom!”

9). Jerry Maguire: Renee Zellweger to Tom Cruise: “You had me at hello.”

10). The Postman: A blind woman says to Kevin Costner: “You’re a godsend, a savior.” He replies: “No, I’m a postman.”

Okay, maybe I can argue a little. The number 8 line from Braveheart is actually a terrific line, in my own humble but most accurate opinion. And I think "You complete me" is an even cornier line from Jerry Maguire than the one they selected.

A few more:

  • Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan: "Earn this." Great movie. But this is the big cry line, and let's face it, it's corny.


  • Lauren Bacall in To Have and Have Not: "You know how to whistle, don't you? You just put your lips together and...blow." As my wife once said, "What does that even mean? That's not sexy, it's stupid."


  • Jamie Lee Curtis in Halloween: "Was it the boogie man?"


  • Harrison Ford in A Clear and Present Danger: "Sorry Mr. President. I don't dance."


  • So what are some of your choices for corniest movie line?

    No comments: