Friday, December 17, 2004

Some Folks Just Can't Make An Exit...

...or an entrance, either.

Pedro Martinez, on his way out of Boston, paused to insult the Red Sox GM, the team's other star pitcher, the manager, and the rest of the organization that just won the World Series. In an Associated Press story, Martinez calls GM Theo Epstein "arrogant." He also says:
I told [owner John Henry], 'You want to sign me, get it done. Please force them to get it done. I'm willing to stay here. Negotiate with them. I just don't want to be under Schilling....I'm way over Schilling as a pitcher and I've pitched pretty much like Schilling the last few years, if you're going to talk about durability.
Of manager Terry Francona, the first Red Sox manager to win a World Series in 86 years, Martinez said:
Francona is subject to what they decide....Francona had no say, like he didn't have any say in managing the team. He was manipulated from upstairs.
But at least Pedro did manage a compliment for one former Red Sox teammate, catcher Jason Veratek. In fact, Martinez says that he wants Veritek to come with him to the Mets--to replace the guy who's going to be his catcher, future Hall of Famer Mike Piazza:
Piazza is a good hitter. We can move him to first or somewhere. ... I want 'Tek. 'Tek is a good player, a good catcher.
Now that's a graceful transition.

No comments: