Monday, November 17, 2003

The transcripts for the day are now up on Rush's website, so I can be more specific about what I meant. Try to read this interaction without cringing. The caller was asking Rush how to handle an addict in her own life:
CALLER: What kind of support - is there any support that helps, or do you just have to be yourself?

RUSH: Be who you are. Just be who you are. Don't try to make decisions for this person, don't try to anticipate what they're doing, just trust them, and if they disappoint you, they disappoint you. You cannot control what they do.

CALLER: Well, I think that's really important. I think that you said trust them. I guess that's what I wanted to know.

RUSH: If you feel it, then trust it. If you don't, then don't. But I mean be honest with yourself about how you feel, be honest with yourself about who you are and understand that you've got enough of a load living your own life and doing the things that you like and want to do that you have to do, this sort of thing. To take on the burden of somebody else's is only going to harm you and you're not going to succeed at controlling somebody else's life. It never works.
Be honest with yourself about how you feel? Ewwwwwww!

Here's hoping the Dr. Laura stuff will be over with quickly.

No comments: